Key Stage 5
What can students do to develop their skills in this subject area?
- Change the language option on their mobile telephone/other devices.
- Read on-line newspapers in target language – see websites below.
- Find episodes of television programmes in French/Spanish online to watch.
- Watch DVDs at home selecting the French/Spanish language option and watch the programmes/films.
- Listen to French/Spanish music and read the lyrics.
- Take an interest in French/Spanish current affairs, popular culture and literature – and that of other French/Spanish speaking countries around the world.
- Listen to French/Spanish radio.
- Use kerboodle login to access additional resources.
- Complete extra exercises available on the VLE.
- Volunteer to assist in lower school MFL clubs.
- Volunteer to help in lower school French or Spanish lessons.
What websites could students visit to support the curriculum?
French newspapers and publications:
www.lemonde.fr - Le Monde.
www.liberation.fr - Libération.
www.lefigaro.fr - Le Figaro.
www.leparisien.fr - Le Parisien.
www.lesechos.fr - Les Échos.
www.latribune.fr - La Tribune.
www.humanite.presse.fr - l'Humanité.
Spanish newspapers and publications:
www.20minutos.es - 20 Minutos.
www.abc.es - ABC.
www.elperiodico.com - El Periódico.
www.elmundo.es - El Mundo.
www.elpais.com - El País.
www.lavanguardia.com - La Vanguardia.
www.tv5monde.com - French television channel.
www.rtve.es - Spanish television and radio.
How can parents/carers help and what can be done at home?
- Encourage your son or daughter to read other examples of French or Spanish literature.
- If anyone in the family or friendship circle speaks a target language, try to organise more contact to practise speaking skills.
- If you are fortunate to travel to a French or Spanish-speaking destination for your family holidays, encourage your son or daughter to speak in the local language as much as possible.
- When visiting any attractions in the UK, encourage your son or daughter to read the brochures or guides that are available in French or Spanish to develop vocabulary further; similarly if visiting a particular place such as a cathedral or museum, listen to audio information in the target language.
- Encourage your son or daughter to watch films, watch television programmes and read online news in the target language.