English Language

Course Overview

The study of English Language introduces students to a variety of texts produced for different purposes across different time periods. You will explore how contextual factors shape and influence text production and how a range of linguistic frameworks are use to meet the function and purpose of a text.

Additionally, you will explore how children acquire and develop their skills as communicators, how language has changed over time and you'll also debate a range of issues relating to sociolect, dialect and attitudes towards language use.

Studying English language will enable you to develop your skills as a writer as you hone your academic writing style, produce your own original pieces of writing, and justify the choices made in your own written work.



Assessment & Examination

80% of the overall qualification will be formally assessed through examination at the end of the course, with non-examined assessment making up the remaining 20%.

Paper 1 Language, the Individual and Society (2 hours 30 minutes) – Two sections. Section A explores a similar topic across 2 different time periods, requiring students to compare how attitudes and language use has changed over time. Section B explores how children acquire language through the use of a spoken, written or multimodal language extract.

Paper 2 Language, Diversity and Change (2 hours 30 mins) – Two sections.

Section A requires students to respond to and evaluate perceptions of language and its changing nature. Section B is a comparative response and piece of original writing.

Non- Examined Assessment - independent coursework separated into two sections: a language investigation (2000 words); a piece of original writing and commentary (1500 words).



Resources

The college will provide you with copies of the course textbook to support you with your studies.



Prior Knowledge

You should be prepared to build on your knowledge from GCSE English Language. Applying these skills to a range of texts from different time periods and contexts will help you to develop the sophistication and coherence of your analytical comments. You should also demonstrate a keen interest in producing your own pieces of original writing.



Beyond The Course

A Level English Language provides a foundation for a wide range of career paths, whether that be tertiary study, apprenticeships or the workforce. Studying the subject will ensure that students enter the next phase of their lives with a strong foundation in critical thinking, analysis, independent research skills and interesting and accurate written communication. Journalism, education, speech and language therapy and other such industries value the abilities language students bring to the workplace.



Entry Requirements

GCSE Level 6 in English Language or English Literature

Sixth Form entry also requires:

  • GCSE Level 5 in Mathematics
  • Four other GCSE's at Level 5

Thinking Of Becoming A Teacher?

Apply Today

Tollbar MAT Sixth Form College Principal

Caroline L Yates BA (Hons).

Tollbar MAT Chief Executive

David J Hampson
OBE, BSc, BA.
Top